One of the problems with blogging is it’s so dang accessible to literally everyone. Anymore, anyone can start a blog with literally ZERO up front investment. I’ve even contemplated starting a blog from scratch, all from a public place like the Apple Store, using their hardware, software and Internet connection. It’s fully possible and would make a pretty cool case study.
The reason this is a problem is because people don’t realize how tough it is to move past just setting up a blog and actually turning it into something valuable. Content takes time, will and determination to create. Getting traffic requires an equal amount of time, determination and experimentation.
I was pleasantly surprised when I happened on a post today that outlined 58 quick tips to transform your blog from something ordinary or lacking to something great. The post covers everything from the basics of setting things up to time saving tips and ways to improve the usability and quality of your blog.
Here are some of the tips I found most useful:
- Develop a basic editorial calendar – Something I’m a HUGE fan of. It will help organize your thoughts and guard against writer’s block. You’ll always know what you’re writing on that particular day and can watch for things to help support the topics you’re going to cover.
- Perfect your About Me page – I have a post coming about this. A great tool both readers and potential advertisers will appreciate and use.
- Maintain an idea file – I’m always on the lookout for things to write about. When you come across one, put it in a file you can refer back to when you need some inspiration or content.
- Follow blogs in your niche – This is a great way to get involved in your niche community and learn some great things in the process. I’m also a big fan of linking to other solid content in a blog’s niche. You’ll notice on Blueverse.com, I’m free with the links to others. There are lots of great minds out there, and we can all learn from each other.
- Build your email list – A staple monetization technique you should be doing TODAY!
- Be persistent — and consistent – Enough said.
The post contains a bunch of links that support the 58 tips as well, so you can explore the ones that you want to read more about.
Check out the post on BoostBlogTraffic.com here: 58 Tips for Transforming Your Blog and Dazzling Your Readers.